Friday, January 22, 2010

More Musings...

You know, I have never been one for poetry. I mean, I don't know how to write prose as well as some people do. I know what I like to read, I know what makes me enjoy it. Then there are those that I just don't understand for whatever reason. So, I simply stay away from poetry writing personally. I love how some of it flows and is beautiful. It caresses the imagination like silk, pouring music into your head as you read it. Those are the poems that I love.
Personally, I have tried to write it. Some of it comes off all right, but gets worse the more I fuss with it or think about it. I am not that kind of writer, I can't plan ahead. I am a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of writer and sometimes, you just can't do that with poetry. It has been done, though, I am not saying it is impossible.

So when I start with a story idea, I tend to just let the characters I create come up with what they want to "tell" me. I don't ever try to force the story unless their voice goes quiet in my mind, as if telling me, "Look, I'm exhausted, I'm hungry. I'm going to get something to eat and go to sleep. You be a good lass and figure it out from here, okay?"

However, I start writing things out and suddenly they're awake saying, "Whoa! Are you kidding me? Back the thought truck up..."

If you are on FaceBook, I have an account there. I have my special little Jolly Roger flag as my picture. Don't ask me when I am going to get out of this "Pirate Phase", it just isn't going to happen any time soon. I also have a little blurby (is that a word?) poem that I wrote off the top of my head:

"The sea owns me, I do not own the sea.
Her bidding is my breath; her call is in my blood.
She has taken my heart, the better part of me.
There is nothing better I have to offer; even if I could."

That pretty much sums up how I feel about the ocean. It has captivated and mystified me. I use that in my pyrate character, Sorcha Lilanthroe, who incidentally shares her name with my SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) character. Sorcha MacGregor. Sorcha is that part of me that I wish could sail the seas and live life in a much different way.

Kayta is that part of me that is noble and honorable and will fight for her friends and her family. She truly is not afraid to stick up for what is right.

Nightshadow is the part of me that wishes she could just kill annoying people and be done with it. (But I wouldn't even if I had the opportunity, it goes against my nature.)

Take all that with a grain of salt. People are complex beings, there are just as many facets of themselves as there are in every character you can dream up. While Sorcha loves the sea, she still follows a personal code of conduct. Kayta has her moments of quiet shyness or fear, but doesn't let it show and Nightshadow really does loathe killing people for the sake of killing people. They are sarcastic, witty and charming. I'm all but charming...hehe. Intelligent, strong women.

So when you write, try not to force it so much. Listen to the voices in your head, they really do exist and they have something important to tell you. You can always change and tweak things later on. Happy Writing!

No comments: