Wednesday, March 31, 2010

And the rest...

Okay, so this is the last installment of my creature creations. I have to get this posted before tomorrow as I begin the blogging A-Z challenge! I look forward to hearing some of your creations. Fantasy, sci-fi, any of them. They're fun and background is just as important for fictional creatures as they are for characters.

Firlochians are also somewhat my creation. They are called giants in mythology but are not really. They stand as tall as the Dargorians, perhaps nine to ten feet tall. Sometimes taller. They are a warrior race, large and muscular but not particularly fast. They are tribal in nature and have blue tattoos to signify ranks and special accomplishments in their lives. However, if they are cast out of their tribes, their tattoos are cut away, leaving them scarred and marked. They must leave their country at once or face execution. The Firlochain tribal leader is the only one who may have multiple wives if he so chooses. Most do not, as the wives will bicker and fight, almost always killing off the weaker ones.

I have to flesh out my Firlochians a little more. They're pretty under-developed at the moment, but I do keep adding to them all.

In the world of Eir du'Brusai, there are numerous other creatures. Humans, Dwarves, Ogres and Goblins. There are slight differences, but overall they are the creatures of folklore and mythology. Gods and Goddesses rule the heavens and the underworlds, their stories are just as unique as their reasons of being called into existence. These will be saved for another time, though.

So these are just a handful of what I've created in the ten years I've worked on my world. I've dedicated so much time and effort into these creatures and their folklore that it is sometimes hard to write about anything else. This is a world full of stories and fun characters and it is sometimes hard to leave. I can only hope that one day I write a book worthy of the world I've created. One word at a time, right?

*Note: This is the 5th installment of my creature creations. Look for these others in my archives starting with Creatures of my World, Kefferlings, Argisindya and These Aren't Keebler Elves

6 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I will certainly look them up.
Good luck with the challenge.
Enjoyed the read, very interesting.

Yvonne.

Talli Roland said...

Wow, that's brilliant! How much fun is it to create things? I love it!

Good luck with the A-Z challenge!

Unknown said...

I bow in awe of people who write fantasy or science fiction. I don't have it in me to create a whole new world. lol I have a hard enough time making a prophetic camera believable.

However, I can see some advantages to writing fantasy. It's *your* world so no one can tell you that it's wrong. Like, I did so much research into the enemy combatant part of my story, yet I'm sure I got some of it completely wrong--with fantasy, the author is always right! :-) How cool is that?

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks for your comments. :D

And yes, I love creating things for my world. I think the hardest part is coming up with the societies and systems. But, I stick with Feudal Society stuff. Kings passing their crown and throne down to a child, stuff like that. I do get to expand a bit on the tribal/clan stuff.

It is hard though, to have the patience to write one book at a time and build up the world in each story, word by word, brick by brick.

Good luck to everyone on the A-Z challenge. I need to get my A post up. :D

Michelle McLean said...

I'm with Mary - I'm very impressed by people who can create their own creatures. Not something I've ever been able to do successfully :)

B. Miller said...

Very cool! I love the way your imagination works! I can definitely tell you're a fan of RPG's. :D