Monday, May 16, 2011

Networking...


Because I took a long hiatus from blogging, I've lost a couple of followers and I have to get back into the groove of getting people to comment on my blog once again. When you leave like I did, that is something that is detrimental to a blog. I feel like I am starting over with my networking. I sometimes feel like Basement Cat.

I can sit here and make all the excuses in the world as to why I didn't keep up with my blogging, but when I get right down to it, I just did not have time. Sadly. I have had to get back into my "routine" as it were. What exactly is my routine? Well....

Once I roll out of bed, I spend my time reading emails and such as I slowly wake up. Coffee in hand. Sometimes it is a two cup morning, but I usually don't have more than one.

I stroll through the new blog posts a couple of times. The first time, I respond to the ones that catch my bleary eye, then I go back and post or read others I might have skipped or missed.

I head on over to FaceBook to post something if I feel like it. Otherwise I just catch up on the newsfeed area and comment here and there. I now have included Twitter in this part of my routine.

Finally, I head on over to Writing.com and log in, just to check things out. I wrote a new post to newbies over there. I had clicked over to the "Read a Newbie" section and pretty much laughed my butt off or shook my head sadly. All the newbies over there using internet-speak or putting "uhhh" or "hmmm" in their descriptions of their work. Okay, okay, they're newbs... but seriously? I will not read someone who puts "Looking 4 r8 and feedback, plz?" in their description of their work. Granted, you are limited to how much you can put in there, but "srsly"?

Book Blogs is now another place I go visit. I am slowly trying to look for people to 'friend' over there as well. If you are on Book Blogs, leave me a comment, I'll find you.

So what is your networking routine? How do you get yourself "out there"? What have you found that works? What doesn't?

Have a great week everyone!

6 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I lost a few followers when I got busy moving, no wireless, wasn't commenting yadayadayada. I kept up my posting because I could do that on my Blackberry but it was impossible to visit and comment on the blogs that way. My routine is write post, go to dashboard and visit a bunch of blogs that catch my eye, go to Twitter, go back to blogs, check emails, and so forth until the day is up. Oh wait, no really, I don't spend all day on it. Just today. Usually it's about an hour.

Mel Chesley said...

I could spend all day! But I don't. Just a couple of hours at most, usually more when I am trying to get back into the groove of things.
But yeah, I hear ya on the moving thing! And I didn't even have a Blackberry to keep up with things. I ended up going to the library and using their wi-fi. XD

Jamie Gibbs said...

The same happened to me :( Mt new job meant that I lost steam towards the end of the A-Z challenge, so my commenting and then my posting suffered for it. I'm hoping to be getting back into the swing of things now though :D My routing is to get up at least an hour before work and comment on as much as I can before I have to leave. I'll then write a blogpost in the evening before bed and browse through my RSS for anything exciting :)

Anonymous said...

15 minutes in the morning; 15 minutes in the afternoon - and that includes blogger and twitter. I can't do it all, so I don't try.

Good to see you back.

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! My networking routine: facebook first and foremost, usually for 15-20 mins. Then blogger, reading and responding to comments, posting, checking followers, etc. Last but not least, google reader. I have all the blogs I follow split up into daily groups, so I basically read them all once a week.

Good luck getting your routine re-situated!

Mel Chesley said...

Thanks Donna and thanks Amy. I hear you, Jaime... it is hard to keep up when you work. I think I am getting back into the swing of things as well and have a list of topics waiting in the wings.