Wednesday, July 31, 2013

End Of Summer, Start Of School...

You know, I got to thinking today that this is the first year I don't have to buy school supplies for my kids.

I don't have to go buy new clothes.

No new back-packs, no notebooks,  no pens and pencils. And I'm such a stationery... hoarder... ha!

It makes me happy I don't have to do this, but it also makes me sad.

I used to drive my kids to school on the first day EVERY year. It was sort of a tradition. When my daughter got to high school, she specifically asked me if I would still drive her to school on the first day, even when she was a Senior and could drive herself.

Now, she's got a baby of her own to do that with.

And my son is going to have his own place in a few short days. I've been trying to teach him to cook some main, comfort food kind of meals. You know, meatloaf and such. He can cook, he likes chicken and seasons his own all the time with different stuff. But...

Yeah.

Trying to keep myself occupied so I don't dwell on the stress of all of this too much. I find myself playing silly, mindless games more often than not, when I am not working on my to do list for the move. I have to maintain a semblance of calm at the very least, as it does affect my health far too much.

Meh, not trying to be a downer. Just a bit reflective and working through some of the sadness that just hit me.

Good news is, I'm holding a yard sale this weekend. Send up some prayers that I make some good money to help fund our trip. My house is such a mess! So, I'm looking forward to the sale in more ways than one. Get all of this stuff out of my house. Then packing and having a farewell party. Sadly making everyone bring practically everything for the party, ha ha! Oh well. Then we'll be off like a herd of turtles, as my son always says.

How about you? Have kids to get ready for school, or are you facing this same issue?

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope everything goes during the sale!
Feeling the empty nest already? Sorry, no kids, so I don't know what that's like.

Julie Dao said...

You could drive your grandkids to school someday and relive those memories! :) No kids here yet, so I get to hoard all the school supplies for myself.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the yard sale!

I used to love getting school stationary - I sweat it's what started my love of buying notebooks :)