Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Writing Wednesday: Just Get It To Paper...

I'm the kind of person that I don't want to write anything unless I have the perfect setting. My house needs to be quiet and I have several hours to block out the world. But if I don't know where I am going with my story, I spend those several, quiet hours goofing off on Facebook or in World of Warcraft.

But I can't afford to do that. I have so many ideas and so many different things to work on that I find myself not goofing off that much because I haven't done anything productive. So I write something, even if it is a blog post like this. This gives me a feeling of productivity, so I reward myself with 15 minutes on Facebook.

I'm starting to save writing prompts to my Pinterest board and finding one that strikes my creativity chord. I've written a stupid little short that would be a great beginning to something, but it needs work, of course. But I'm getting things to paper. I'm just GETTING it TO PAPER.

I even have a dozen composition books with titles of all the ideas I've come up with and have been writing things out by hand. It's getting on that paper! Then, when I'm done with the notebook, I type it all out and fix things as I go.

I think it is important to just get your story out on paper. You can always go back to it later and clean it up. But getting it written  out, from beginning to end, and who cares what it looks like. As long as you get it to PAPER! Get it out. Write it out! Feel accomplished. It helps with the writing process. Then move on to something else and once that's done, go back to cleaning up the first one.

Now, if I could just take my own advice.

Have any other helpful tips? Leave me a comment!

1 comment:

Annalisa Crawford said...

If I need to write, I make sure my laptop stays shut and I have pen and paper in my hand. I may watch endless episodes of Castle, but I will also get something on paper! Keeping off the laptop is hugely important because I swear it opens Facebook automatically :-)